It is usually the small things in the right places that give one that extra touch of style and chicness. It is the string of pearls, the diamond studs, the addition of truffle oil or champagne, that will take things from good to great. Every so often our home needs the same boost.
There are really only a handful of items that can immediately up the chic factor of any space. When a small but impactful update is in order, these three items will be all you need!
A BAR CART
Veanne Bar Cart, Misha Bar Cart, Jacques Bar Cart, Vince Bar Cart, Gerard Bar Cart
Check out this chic outdoor bar cart
Horchow Tamsin Chinoiserie Bar Cart $795
This bar cart is my favorite; it is stocked, styled and ready to go!
Image Via Elle Decor -Nicole Gibbons
People usually think to add unique lighting in the kitchen. However, I feel that pendant lights and chandeliers make an even bigger impact in more unexpected areas like the living room or hallway. Here are a few that have major style.
Roxbury Pendant, Crystal Drop Pendant, Lucia Semi Flush Mount, Olive Leaf Pendant
Image via Coastal Style
Don’t have an electrician on speed dial? Here are some table lamps that will also do the trick.
Lamps I Love:
Madison Crystal Lamp, Ripley Geometric Lamp, Diamond Omega Table Lamp, Alexis Lamp, Loring Table Lamp
I love the use of mirrors for so many reasons. They are the design equivalent of Houdini. They can give the illusion that a space is larger, ceilings are taller, rooms are brighter and make a space look as though there are more windows than there actually are. Without a doubt, mirrors are a designer’s best and most used tool.
Petal Mirror, Frederick Wall Mirror, Evie Geo Mirror, Cassia Mirror, Studded Mirror
Quatrefoil Mirror $347
These mirrors below not only make a statement, they serve to balance out a wall with a single window!
Image via Pinterest
Napoleon Hill said “If you can not do great things, then do small things in a great way”. I hope this post inspires you to the make small, impactful additions that will elevate and revitalize your home.
Thanks for reading!
Historically, home design follows fashion. However, the converse is also true. Fashion designers often proclaim that architecture and interiors serve as their inspiration, and I can personally attest to having found design inspiration from a beautiful or unique piece of clothing. Below, I will illustrate the parallels that can be found in fashion and home design. Here are some key trends for Spring 2016:
Blush tones for home
- It is no surprise that soft pastel colors take the spotlight as Spring draws near. One can argue that both fashion and home design take its cues from nature. Therefore, it is not surprising that as nature’s palette of colors expands and the trees and flowers begin to bloom that fashion and home decor follow suit. Of all the pastel colors that have been highlighted for Spring 2016, Blush is the “IT” color. Blush has long been a favorite color of mine. This soft pink works on every skin tone. Everyone looks healthier when wearing blush tones. It is soft, chic and understated. The same can be said when using blush in one’s home. This color serves as a perfect complement to almost any color.
Image via Style Me Pretty – Design by Anne Hepfner
2. Mixing Stripes and Floral
This is a classic mix. This mix is fun,preppy and will always look chic. There is no one who does this look better than Ralph Lauren. Below, I love this wide stripe rug from Lulu and Georgia paired with a classic Louis dining chair in a modern floral from Ballard Design.
Floral and Stripe Dining Room – Image via BHG
Texture is IN
3. In the image below, Christian Dior mixes a chunky knit sweater in pastel blue with white delicate, scalloped sheer shorts. The pillow from Williams Sonoma Home beautifully mixes lush velvet with a leather croc banding.
Jonathan Adler is a master at mixing textures and prints. Below, he artfully mixes grasscloth wallpaper with mirrored furniture, which he then pairs with his soft Maxime lounge chair.
Jonathan Adler Delphine Bar $2995 and Maxime Lounge Chair $2250
4. Is there ever a Spring where white is not in? This color signifies purity, innocence and new beginnings. A fresh update this year on the runway is seeing all white looks for evening. This trend lends itself seamlessly to home design, and unlike its fashion counterpart, an all white room is always stylish (see my post here on this topic).
Photo via Pinterest – My Domaine/Every Girl
5. Adding metallics to your space is like adding jewelry to your outfit. Jewelry adds the finishing touch to every outfit. No one did jewelry like Elizabeth Taylor. She was quoted as saying “Big Girls need big diamonds”. She understood the importance of sparkle. Metallics add life and dimension to a room. EVERY room needs to have metals in them.
On the runway this Spring, silver held just a little more of the spotlight than the other metals. However, every shade was represented. In the room below, bronze and gold add depth and drama to this dining room. I love the gold dining table.
Image via Elle Decor
I hope you enjoyed this post. The trends that I highlighted from Spring 2016 were among my favorites. Let me know what trends you are loving for Spring.
Thanks for reading!