Historically, home design follows fashion. However, the converse is also true. Fashion designers often proclaim that architecture and interiors serve as their inspiration, and I can personally attest to having found design inspiration from a beautiful or unique piece of clothing. Below, I will illustrate the parallels that can be found in fashion and home design. Here are some key trends for Spring 2016:
Blush tones for home
- It is no surprise that soft pastel colors take the spotlight as Spring draws near. One can argue that both fashion and home design take its cues from nature. Therefore, it is not surprising that as nature’s palette of colors expands and the trees and flowers begin to bloom that fashion and home decor follow suit. Of all the pastel colors that have been highlighted for Spring 2016, Blush is the “IT” color. Blush has long been a favorite color of mine. This soft pink works on every skin tone. Everyone looks healthier when wearing blush tones. It is soft, chic and understated. The same can be said when using blush in one’s home. This color serves as a perfect complement to almost any color.
2. Mixing Stripes and Floral
This is a classic mix. This mix is fun,preppy and will always look chic. There is no one who does this look better than Ralph Lauren. Below, I love this wide stripe rug from Lulu and Georgia paired with a classic Louis dining chair in a modern floral from Ballard Design.
Texture is IN
3. In the image below, Christian Dior mixes a chunky knit sweater in pastel blue with white delicate, scalloped sheer shorts. The pillow from Williams Sonoma Home beautifully mixes lush velvet with a leather croc banding.
Jonathan Adler is a master at mixing textures and prints. Below, he artfully mixes grasscloth wallpaper with mirrored furniture, which he then pairs with his soft Maxime lounge chair.
4. Is there ever a Spring where white is not in? This color signifies purity, innocence and new beginnings. A fresh update this year on the runway is seeing all white looks for evening. This trend lends itself seamlessly to home design, and unlike its fashion counterpart, an all white room is always stylish (see my post here on this topic).
5. Adding metallics to your space is like adding jewelry to your outfit. Jewelry adds the finishing touch to every outfit. No one did jewelry like Elizabeth Taylor. She was quoted as saying “Big Girls need big diamonds”. She understood the importance of sparkle. Metallics add life and dimension to a room. EVERY room needs to have metals in them.
On the runway this Spring, silver held just a little more of the spotlight than the other metals. However, every shade was represented. In the room below, bronze and gold add depth and drama to this dining room. I love the gold dining table.
I hope you enjoyed this post. The trends that I highlighted from Spring 2016 were among my favorites. Let me know what trends you are loving for Spring.
Thanks for reading!